How We Create Value
We aim to create value for all of our stakeholders.
We recognise that we have not always met this stated aim and have, as a direct result of our business activities, caused customer detriment. By transforming our business, focusing on a purpose and values-led culture and simplifying our products and services – doing fewer things better – we want to ensure that we are having a positive impact on our stakeholders. Fairness and ethical conduct will be fundamental to us achieving this.
The table below presents the value created for our key stakeholders for each of our main business activities. These activities create value for ANZ in the form of income, business growth, an engaged and high-performing workforce and strong relationships with our stakeholders.
*figures stated cover FY18 year.
We provide transaction banking services
- Making it simple for our customers to manage their money and interact with us how and when it is most convenient for them.
- Assisting businesses to safely transact, trade and invest across the community and borders.
- Contributing to the cyber safety and security of our customers through education and awareness programs.
- Preventing financial crime and money laundering
We hold deposits for our customers
- Keeping our customers’ money safe and providing competitive returns on deposits. We paid $10.7 billion in interest on deposits.
- Enabling people and businesses to save, manage their resources and deal with change.
- Providing funding for housing, personal lending and businesses.
We lend money to our retail, small business and corporate customers
- Enabling customers to buy homes and businesses to expand and grow. We provided $341 billion in home lending (Australia and New Zealand).
- Underpinning employment, investment and economic growth in the community
- Efficiently and responsibly allocating financial resources to meet customer and market demand, and support changing community expectations.
We provide wealth management and risk mitigation products
- Enabling customers and their families to save for the future and achieve personal and business goals
- Assisting customers to manage personal and business risks.
- Assisting communities to manage social risks.
- Allowing business and Institutional customers to manage risk associated with their businesses.
- Promoting trade and investment, and the efficient allocation of financial resources.
We invest in our people to build a diverse and inclusive workforce
- Enabling us to provide better services and products to customers, and meeting community expectations.
- Promoting diversity and equality of opportunity. We recruited 260 people from under-represented groups1.
- Increasing the skills and capabilities of our people, providing more than 877,000 hours of training
- Includes Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disability and refugees.
We collaborate with our suppliers
- Contributing to the economy across the countries we operate in.
- Collaborating with suppliers to manage the social and environmental impacts of our mutual business operations.
We collaborate with partners to build capacity and improve financial wellbeing
- Improving the wellbeing of lower income and vulnerable customers, enabling them to participate more fully in society.
- Contributing to the ability of not-for-profit organisations to assist and support the community.
We invest in the community
- Contributing to the wellbeing of the community through volunteering and employee giving. 124,113 volunteering hours completed by our employees.
- Supporting customers and the community in times of difficulty, hardship or natural disaster, for example, through our drought relief package.
We pay taxes in the countries within which we operate
- Contributing to the provision of public services such as health, social services and education. We paid $3,18822 million in taxes to governments.
- Building trust through transparent tax reporting.
(Total taxes borne by the Group, includes unrecovered GST/VAT, employee related taxes and other taxes. Inclusive of discontinued operations.)
- Total taxes borne by the Group, includes unrecovered GST/VAT, employee related taxes and other taxes. Inclusive of discontinued operations.
We pay dividends to our shareholders
- Providing consistent returns to shareholders.
- We are paying 79.5% of 2018 cash profit (total Group) to shareholders.
- Enabling shareholders to save and invest to meet their personal and business goals.
- Providing funding for lending and the economy, and efficiently allocating financial resources.
- Facilitating capital and debt raising